Thursday, August 28, 2008

The history of The United States of America still being written


Democratic Party Convention
August 28, 2008
(45 years to the day of Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I have dream" speech.)

Michael Powell for the NY Times sends this dispatch from Invesco Field:

Crouching amid the Tennessee delegation on the floor of the stadium, I noticed him, this tall black man standing behind me. His face was as broad as his shoulders. And as Barack Obama finished his speech, as fireworks shot off and red white and blue confetti fell, tears rolled down his cheeks.
What emotions are running barreling through right now?
“So much, I see so many things,” replied Keith Norman in a rich baritone. “I see my earliest dreams as a child. I see a man being given a fair chance because of his talent.”
His chest heaves; he is looking at the stage and the Mr. Obama hugging his wife and his two daughters.
“I see his faith in God. And I see the hand of God,” he said, “And it makes my heart glad.”
A friend, a barrel chested black man in a black Obama beret comes over and puts his arm around the midsection of Mr. Norman and asks another man to take a picture of them together.
Both men are crying and smiling.


U.S. politics and history has always seemed more interesting to watch in the making or learn about than Canadian politics for the most part anyway. I think that's probably a good thing but just not an exicitng thing.

No comments: